Creston Housing Hub

Development in Creston

Review Zoning and Plans:

Check Zoning Map

  • Use the Zoning Map to determine the Zoning of your property.
  • Ensure your plans match the requirements for that Zone.

Development Permit Areas:

  • Check if the property is in a Development Permit Area by checking the maps in Official Community Plan.
  • If the property is in a Development Permit Area, you will be required to apply for a Development Permit and meet the requirements outlined in the Official Community Plan before you can get a Building Permit.
  • Developments may also require variances or other approvals depending on the project.

Seek Assistance:

  • If uncertain, consult with Town Staff for guidance on whether a project can be permitted on a specific site, and provide suggestions to help navigate the approvals process.

Schedule a Meeting

  • To save time and potentially money, you are encouraged to book a meeting with the Community Planning & Development Team as early as possible, to discuss your plans and what might be required to see them come to fruition.

For more information click HERE

Understand Zoning

  • Each property in Creston belongs to a specific zone – or in some cases a property can be split into multiple zones.
  • Development must conform to the permitted uses and regulations for the zone, as outlined in the Zoning Bylaw. To check the zoning of your property, view the Zoning Map.

Varying Zoning Requirements

  • If your development plans do not meet the zoning requirements, such as setbacks or height restrictions, you may submit a Development Variance Permit Application or a Board of Variance Application to request that a specific regulation be relaxed or varied in order to accommodate your project plans.
  • A Development Variance Permit or Board of Variance decision cannot change the permitted uses or density of the zone (see “Zoning Amendments” below).
  • Council and/or the Board of Variance consider applications for variances on a case-by-case basis, and will consider the feedback of neighbouring property owners as may be applicable.

Zoning Amendments

  • If your planned development does not conform to the permitted uses or density requirements listed for your zone, you will need to complete a Zoning Amendment Application to change the zoning of the property to a zone where your proposed use is permitted, or to add your proposed use to the list of permitted uses in your current zone.
  • Zoning Amendment Applications are considered by Council, following an extensive public process, on a case-by-case basis.
  • Council cannot approve a zoning amendment that contradicts the Land Use Designations or other policies found within the Official Community Plan (OCP).
  • If a development is not in conformance with both the Zoning Bylaw and the OCP, a combined Official Community Plan & Zoning Amendment Application must be submitted.

What is the OCP?

  • The Official Community Plan (OCP) is a land-use planning tool that is used to guide Town Council and Staff in their decisions about development, zoning and services.
  • In 2016-2017, the OCP was developed through deep consultation with the public, to be sure that public opinion and interest on issues of future planning were taken into account.
  • The OCP sets out policy that Council and the public can follow when considering development plans. It helps them make sure that the proposals align with the community’s long-term plans.
  • The Plan is regularly reviewed and updated to make sure it continues to represent the Town of Creston’s long-term goals for the people who live here.

Development Permit Areas

  • There are eight development areas outlined in the OCP where all development requires a development permit unless an exemption is noted.
  • In Development Permit Areas (DPAs) a Building Permit can not be issued until a Development Permit has been approved.
  • Each Development Permit Area (DPA) has its own set of guidelines that developers need to meet before getting a Development Permit.
  • It’s important for developers to be familiar with DPA guidelines as found in the OCP, before applying for a permit.
  • You can find which properties are in each Development Permit Area in Schedule B (for DPAs 1-2) and Schedule C (for DPAs 3-8) of the OCP.
  • To get a Development Permit the land owner must submit a Development Permit Application to the Town.
  • Staff and Council will consider each Development Permit application on a case-by-case basis.

OCP Amendments

  • If your plans do not conform with the OCP, you can submit a Zoning and OCP Amendment Application.
  • Making changes to the OCP involves a thorough public process.
  • Council considers Official Community Plan Amendment Applications on a case-by-case basis. 

Development Cost Charges (DCCs) are fees imposed on new development projects, like housing or commercial buildings.

These fees provide the Town with the necessary funds to cover the costs associated with constructing, upgrading, or expanding essential community infrastructure that benefit the development.

This can include off-site projects such as:

  • Roads
  • Water supply systems
  • Sewage systems
  • Drainage systems
  • Public parks

The aim is to ensure that new developments contribute financially to the enhancement of the town’s overall infrastructure and amenities, rather than burdening Creston tax payers with the infrastructure costs needed to support new developments.

To learn more about DCCs view Development Cost Charges. To see if your development is located within a DCC Area and understand the applicable costs contact Town Hall.

The community has policies to manage residential growth by prioritizing the use of existing infrastructure and avoiding hazardous lands, while promoting walkable neighborhoods.

A Residential Growth Containment Area (RGCA) has been established for new development, with density ranges based on property size and type. Outside the RGCA, residential development is permitted but discouraged if it requires new infrastructure. 

For further information, please see section V. A of the Official Community Plan.